Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Worse Than I Thought

I've never been a cook, chef, kitchen wonderment.  I seem to be able to bake just fine though, which is odd.  I've created my own cheesecake recipes and a bangin' crust that people seem to love.  But trying to actually cook a meal is not my strong suit.

I get bored, sidetracked, annoyed.  I'm not sure if it's because I really don't have a grasp on the basics or because I just truly have no interest in cooking.  My husband is a magnificent cook so I've never really had to worry about it.

Anyway I've been trying to navigate the kitchen in order to clean up this family.  Sure Steve can continue with the cooking but that would mean his style which is not clean, nor good for his diet.

It really dawned on me today when I tried to bake kale chips, that I saw on one of my favorite blogs- little monster, at how much trouble I am in.  How hard can that be??? Well for this moron it was apparently super difficult.

The ones that weren't over-salted were burnt.  HA!  Seriously I need a FREE lesson on the basics of cooking.  I applaud all others who are such amazing cooks even if that means cooking kale chips at a reasonable degree without numbing the tongue from an overdose of salt.

HELP!

2 comments:

  1. Mom's oven at the old house was so dope that I could "bake" kale chips at such a low degree that they are technically still "raw". Raw is anything cooked under 110 degrees most often at 90 overnight - towel shoved in the closing door of the oven to let the air in. I would often use tahini and the juice of several organic lemons little bit of cayenne and sea salt. I make the point about organic lemons not because I am more afraid of GMO's than I have ever been of monsters or the apocalypse.. but you actually get the juice of 3 non-organic lemons created with a large and heavy outside rind that tricks you into thinking it is big and luscious. I think that if you have the time and you have the right intention (which you do) that anything you make, even all the hits and misses along the way will be super tasty because it will all be made with love. And that is the best nutrition possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww thanks!!! That was a very sweet comment and very useful!!!!!!!! I told the girls they could have a rice crispy treat if they tried a (non burnt) kale chip and they did. L didn't like it but H did. Unusual since that is the opposite of the usual. I thought they were good but did stink up the kitchen....thanks for the tip on cooking under 110!!! LOVE it

      Delete